On 05/13/2018 01:34 PM, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> Am 12.05.2018 um 05:13 schrieb Richard Kimberly Heck:
>>> Please make your decision and tell me.
>>
>> Others can speak up if they wish, but I believe we have made ourselves
>> clear. We will not release an official Windows installer that updates
>> people's MikTeX installations without asking their permission.
>
> OK, this was clear since about 2 months. Why haven't we discussed at
> all? I made some arguments, see below and haven't heard a good reason
> against them.

We discussed it endlessly. You gave your reasons, we gave ours, and we
seem to be
at a stalemate.

> It is also interesting that non-Win developers state they have better
> arguments without contesting the arguments from the Win developer.

As JMarc mentioned, he uses Windows all the time, and yet he agrees with
the rest
of the development team. I used Windows for years before switching to
Linux, and
I've installed Windows 10 both in a virtual machine and separately just
to be able to
check out these kinds of issues (as well as to explore Windows-specific
bugs). There
are tons of users who have now expressed their opinions on this. Do none
of us count?
Why not?

I am sorry that the relevant issues here have gotten mixed up with more
general issues
about the Windows installer. As I said, I (and I think many others)
wonder about whether
it is a good idea to try to package all of LyX's dependencies the way
you are. I am sorry
that my use of the English idiom "I wonder whether it's wise..." misled
you. That simply
means: I wonder whether it's the best course.... It's a very ordinary
phrase.

But that's not what's at issue now. The ONLY question at the moment is
about a warning
dialog at the outset: One that would tell users that the installer will
update MikTeX,
direct them to a wiki page with more information, and give them the
opportunity to
cancel. That's it. No one is suggesting that you should change the
installer in any other
way, and if I manage to build the installer myself, then that is exactly
what it would be
like: The same as yours, with that dialog.

I understand that you think this would confuse 'ordinary users'. But
even if you are
right, then (a) we can figure out some way to help them and (b) that is
out-weighed
by the fact that updating MikTeX can cause serious problems for some
users. That is
the 'harm' we've been talking about. Breaking people's systems is not a
triival matter,
as I have José, and many others have said. Even *the MikTeX maintainer*
has made
it clear that we should not update MikTeX without asking permission from
the user.
Isn't that good enough?

>> where Jim Rockford suggests "a simple warning message" as a solution,
>> exactly what we have been suggesting all along.
>
> Why is my proposal not taken into account: Not having MiKTeX updated
> is an expert thing. Therefore only experts should be bothered with
> this. experts can read the announcement.

Because no one reads ANNOUNCE, even expert users. And by the time the
update is done, the damage is done.

> Average user can misunderstand it with a probability of 50%. Those who
> misunderstood it and denied the update can end up with an unusable LyX.

No, they do not. If they deny, then NOTHING HAPPENS. The proposal is
that we give
this dialog at the very beginning, and if the user cancels, then NOTHING
HAPPENS.
Their system is left exactly the same as if they had never run the
installer at all. There
is therefore no possible way that running the installer and denying can
have a bad effect.
It's a NO-OP.