My apologies; I was getting confused. I don't actually use
ButtonController::valid(bool) to change the state of the buttons anymore.
FormBase::InputCB calls ButtonController::input direct.

> Angus,  I know you were going to reimplement the input checking functions
> of the dialogs to return an SMInput but this doesn't seem to have been
> done yet.

Errrr. Yes it has. Look at FormBase::InputCB rather than
FormBaseDeprecated::inputCB. There's a reason for it being Deprecated...

All dialogs that have been ported to the controller-view split are derived
from FormBase, not FormBaseDeprecated.

> Okay I think I see what John is complaining about now: all those direct
> calls to bc_.valid() in an effort to force the OK button to be available
> all because the input checking doesn't return true when it should.  That
> was what the change in the dialog.input() checking was supposed to fix.

Yes, this is a fudge to a lacking ButtonPolicy. Consider inputting a
citation-inset from the minibuffer. The params are perfectly valid, the
dialog pops up. Do you want to "Apply" them? Yes I do!

> John,  don't change the valid() function name or add another one.  Wait
> for Angus or I to change the operation of the dialogs input checking.
> Then you won't need those direct calls to bc().valid() just to workaround
> a mishandled input routine.

I'd enjoy having you around again...

Angus