On Friday 12 July 2002 9:12 am, David Kastrup wrote:
> Herbert Voss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > >
> > > Experiment with gs -sDEVICE=pnmraw. Does that reduce disk footprint
> > > much?
> >
> > yes, up 14.5 MBytes
>
> This is still ridiculous.  Get this PNG support going.  Of course,
> this also explains why previews got slower when color support got
> added: I/O time.  ppm files take up three times more space than pgm,
> and when you leave off antialiasing, you get pbm, at another factor
> of 8 in file size.  I/O time for 57MBytes is far from trivial.
>
> Get this PNG support going.

David, I work on LyX for fun. I do not have an infiinite amount of time to
spend on it. Given the options of writing something reasonable for LyX or
learning how to write a new loader for an external library, guess which one I
choose?

On a more positive note, John Levon has an almost working Qt frontend. That
will "just work" with PNG.

Angus