On Friday 12 July 2002 9:41 am, David Kastrup wrote:
> > David, I work on LyX for fun.
>
> I did not particularly address you.  Hmmm, what was the reason I was
> working on LyX (if you would call it that)?

I remember in your introduction you mentioned that you'd like people to pay
you for your LaTeX services... ?

> > On a more positive note, John Levon has an almost working Qt
> > frontend. That will "just work" with PNG.
>
> Hmmm.  Image loading will depend on the toolkit used?

Why would we re-invent the wheel and not use what is available to us in the
toolkit? Of course image loading is done by the toolkit. The intellectual
challenge is in writing a core that is GUI-independent yet doesn't dumn
things down to the abilities of the stupidest toolkit.

Once you've got your head around it, it's actually a pleasure coding in this
way. Look at mathed. Beautiful, clean code. Doesn't know what the hell it is
writing to. That must be elegant ;-)

Angus