If I understood it correctly last time I saw it epsi files are eps files with a
comment that contans a bitmap representation of the image. Un*x systems usually
have ghostscript and at least some programs that know one of the way to use it
(xdvi knowns how to get ghostscript to render into a window, for example). LyX
might prefer getting ghostscript to generate png or something similar but
either way the bitmap is just a waste of space.

If you are using windows then people probably except you to use word, which can
not use ghostscript even if it is installed. You can see a version of the
picture if it is epsi, but not it is jsut eps, and not either format on a
non-postscript printer. GSview is installed widely but the use of anything not
mauled by microsoft, especially if it is GPL or LGPL, is obviously an
unamerican activity (at least according to M$'s anti-GPL FUD).

LyX can use this fact to show that free software is not only cheaper but also
better quality too :-)

--
Duncan (-:
"software industry, the: unique industry where selling substandard goods is