Duncan> If I understood it correctly last time I saw it epsi files are
Duncan> eps files with a comment that contans a bitmap representation
Duncan> of the image. Un*x systems usually have ghostscript and at
Duncan> least some programs that know one of the way to use it (xdvi
Duncan> knowns how to get ghostscript to render into a window, for
Duncan> example). LyX might prefer getting ghostscript to generate png
Duncan> or something similar but either way the bitmap is just a waste
Duncan> of space.

The problem we have here is not that it wastes space, but that some
tools alledgedly choke on this preview.