Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:

> Have I said that I really do not like the dialogs at all?
> I'd prefere an application completely without dialogs...

Dialogs are indeed overused in most applications.
I would love to see lyx do search & replace emacs style.
I.e. use the minibuffer instead of some popup the
user have to move out of the way _and_ eventually close.

The same applies to any other dialog small enough
for the minibuffer, or that can be divided up sanely.

Parameters for floats and other insets could be part of
the expanded inset instead of a popup dialog.  That could
get big fast, so perhaps tabs or two levels of expansion
is in order.

The preamble could be a collapsable inset (very much like
a ERT inset) but anchored at the beginning.

But please don't see this as a new paradigm or absolute
rule - lots of bad software appear when people try
applying good ideas _everywhere_, even where they
don't fit.  I see no problem having "preferences" in
a popup dialog - it is not something done every day
and it certainly don't belong anywhere inside the
document.

Helge Hafting