On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, John Levon wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 11:59:28AM +0100, Lars Gullik Bj?nnes wrote:
[...]
> > | I have never been able  to use that interface, and it buys us precisely
> > | nothing, and costs a lot.

Poor John, failed at Emacs but rules with vi.  When are you vi guys
going to get your acts together and put a vi-style command interface
or are you quietly admitting defeat here also.  :P

> > Gets rid of the popup/dialog clutter.
>
> By replacing it with some clutter on the buffer instead, which :
>
> 1) is non-standard
> 2) cannot use the frontend's architecture
> 3) requires more code
>
> I don't know about you, but I do not fancy coding all the stuff like tab
> navigation etc. by hand.

Can't Qt create a "dialog" as part of a canvas?  That is, can't you
just put everything on a scrolling-canvas instead of a separate popup
dialog box? (which all the Qt/KDE apps I remember using seem to always
want to make modal)

Then the only difference is the stuff that is covered up or blocked by
silly dialogs -- in fact it seems that since Qt can float toolbars the
same could effectively be done with dialogs -- the user can choose to
pull them out of the workarea and decorate the rest of their screen
with them if they want to (or vice versa).

Allan. (ARRae)