On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 10:15:10AM +0100, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Andre> Personally, having the two logicaly positions (just before some
> Andre> change/at the beginning of a change) is _the_
>
> _the_ what?

... thing that annoys me most in the main text (well, apart from the
general lack of easily accessible functions to jump around and S&R).

And that's not because that's the natural way with the all-boxes
approaches but because it's the way I think of the text markup. And
not being sure whether I am inside or outside makes me uncomfortable.

> We could have a solution where there is only one position in general,
> but we have a lfun that switches to the other position (when relevant)
> when needed. Of course there should be some visual indication of what
> happens. This would be only a power user thing, so it needn't be very
> discoverable.
>
> I did not chime in in the thread between John and Andre, in part
> because we had a 24h network outage :(. However, I have to say that I
> am not comfortable with andre's position...

I know.

> I really think that an application should be developed in the
> UI-to-code direction, and not code-to-UI. Saying that, since a certain
> data structure is sound then we should use it and then expose it to
> the user is taking things backward IMO.

But almost any UI can be provided on top of a flexible data structure.
If your data structure is only geared towards a single UI, some UI
quirks simply won't be fixable or some features are hard to implement
because your data structure does not support it.

Andre'

--
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have,
nor do they deserve, either one.     (T. Jefferson or B. Franklin or both...)