On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 12:53:04PM +0100, Christian Ridderström wrote:
> With the ERT inset (in textEd) for instance, this is not really a problem
> since you have the visual "barrier" (box) that you pass through.

Well, the idea of all-boxes is to have that barrier for each change.

> > Because C-Left moves the mouse pointer half a screen to the left I
> > rarely test this feature...
>
> You need to fix your window manager? SCNR

Indeed. Save a few small changes I use the same configuration as 14
years ago.

> Seriously, what do you mean?

I mean 'I don't know what Ctrl-Left is doing as this key sequence is
handled by my window manager so LyX never sees it. M-x
word-backward/forward work fine, though.

> Is it broken in 1.4? (in 1.3 it moves to the
> left/right-most position inside the math-inset IIRC)

1.4 too.

> > I think the second point is sufficient and everything else not strictly
> > needed.
>
> For text editing, I'm pretty sure I'd like a mode without any boxes...

Even without the once the cursor is in?

> it's annoying as it is with ERT boxes, index boxes etc, that clutter the
> screen and takes away my focus from the actual text content.

It could be made less intrusive like the pink corners of the math boxes
(instead of a 'solid' box...)

> Have you used word and NOT been irritated by the squiggly lines below
> words?

Rarely. and yes, I find this confusing.

> Note: Isn't it overkill drawing something that's emphasized using a box
> AND (e.g.) italics? We don't want to flood the user with visual info.

Interesting point. Hm, maybe. Maybe not, though...

> > > cursor in a subscript, or in a superscript... objects are in a strict
> > > hierarchy.  Is there a similar distiction in 'textEd'?
> >
> > The typical XML document structure is hierarical. So, yes.
>
> Sorry, I don't buy that argument. You are talking about data structures
> intended to be machine readable, whereas I am talking about how we (our
> brain) thinks about text.

It helps to adjust your way of thinking a bit to the way the machine
handles stuff. This enables you to work with the machine, not against
it...  'Documents are trees' is not a bad mode of thought IMO.

> In my mind, text is more of a linear (sequential) object than
> something with the tree structure of a formula.

This holds for a novel ore such, but even the random science paper has
structure. And, btw, if you only have flat text you'll never see a box
even with all-boxes.

Andr'e