The latest version of automake available at
  http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml
is
  msys-automake-1.8.2.tar.bz2

There's also
  automake-1.9.5-mingwPORT.tar.bz2
which is essentially a script that enables one to unpack, build and install the official automake sources from
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/automake/

I've done that. Unfortunately, the result is rather sad :( Having removed the old autom4te.cache, aclocal.m4 and acinclude.m4 from my LyX tree and modified autogen.sh to point to the new aclocal, automake, so:

#!/bin/sh

ACLOCAL="aclocal-1.9 -I ${PWD}/m4"
AUTOHEADER="autoheader"
AUTOMAKE="automake-1.9 --add-missing --copy --force-missing --foreign"

I find that running autogen.sh produces the attached output.

Any clues?

As things stand, I'm afraid that the port of automake 1.9 to Windows isn't yet ready for prime time. (Hence it isn't part of MSYS yet). That means I can build neither LyX 1.4 nor tex2lyx on Windows using mingw/msys. (This is with an otherwise pristine source tree.)

Angus