Jean-Marc Lasgouttes a écrit :

Moving on to LyX/Win 1.4, what should I compile? The release tar ball or a snapshot of the 1.4.x tree including the bug fixes that have gone in since
1.4.0 was announced?

Personnally I'd prefer the plain 1.4.0
tarball, unless there are some very bad windows bugs.

Abdel: I think Angus fears that the time the installer is done and tested,
1.4.1 will be close to release. Jean-Marc you said that you want to
shorten the delay between release. Why not make declare a 1.4.1 release
candidate now and work from there.
By the way, is there any performance improvement in current tree? IMHO
the 1.4.0 performance on windows is quite bad and I don't think many
people many people will switch from 1.3.7.

Abdel.

SH: This post reflects my point of view. It is not that there are
"very bad windows bugs" but that there are so many of them.
If the release contains the bug fixes to date and is called 1.4.0,
then it is not as easy to compare with the original unfixed 1.4.0

So the "declare a 1.4.1 release candidate" makes sense to me,
a 1.4.1pre_1. The users will be happier and it provides testing
to the newly added bug fixes. It is pretty easy though, to have
both 1.3.7 and 1.4.0 versions coexist peacefully with Windows.
The Linux and WinLyX versions could be synced at 1.4.0pre_2
Releasing 1.4.1pre1 assuages Win users feeling of being neglected.

I also like Joost's suggestions particulary in regard to 1.4.0 which
might have adequate developer resources to support it. However
the 1.3.7 idea, which seems ideal, will likely encounter practical
resistance, such as a lower priority, and general lack of agreement.

Regards,
Stephen