No. I want immediate proof that scons is _capable_ of replacing
autotools. Huge difference.

Actually, I would like to free myself from the obligation of
challenging autotools. I personally believe that scons will evolve to
a state that can replace autotools without doubt, but it is not easy
to prove it *now*, given its 0.96.xx status.

Currently, autotools work on windows, cygwin, solaris and every linux
variant under the sun so a replacement is not needed. As long as
package packers can live with autotools, I have no intention to change
the current status.

That does not have to mean autotools are easy to use. We windows (?)
programmers have had trouble with changing even a small bit of .m4
file, and we dislike the lengthy and sometimes unnecessary ./configure
process, and the need to change between mingw/cygwin etc just to get
the right version of autotools. Please allow *us* to use the scons
system and make our lives a bit easier. *nix people please stay with
autotools.

Cheers,
Bo