Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
"Abdelrazak" == Abdelrazak Younes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

 Wait a minute. I do not think we want to add all these things to
our source tree! Please don't do that.

Abdelrazak> Is it a disk space problem or a religious issue?

We try to avoid hosting code that is not ours because

- it indeed takes up disk space

- then we are responsible for maintaining it

Maintaining a patch or maintaining a source tree seems like the same thing for me. The later is just more easier to do with SVN. But OK, I don't think there will be many changes to the patches anyway.

- this is even more important when the code is only used on one
  platform. Linux and OSX can use the system aspell.

Then you should erase all the #ifdef MAC and WIN32 from the code because this code is not used on linux.

There are currently two exceptions that I know of

- boost, because it used to be a moving target and we can never be
  sure that our code will work with system boost. If the situation is
  better now, we should probably reconsider

Yep. At least make external boost the default.

- gettext, because this is what the GNU standards told us to do. I
  read somewhere that this stance has changed and that several GNU
  tools suites stopped doing that. If it is true, we should also
  reconsider.

Indeed.

Concerning the aspell problem, it would be maybe better (for 1.5) to
change our code to use Enchant or something like that which is able to
use system dictionaries.

Well, why not... On windows, it is able to use OOffice (same as Mozilla) or Aspell. The API seems easy to adapt to our current Aspell calls. Any taker for the job?

Instead of distributing modified sources, we can have a patch in our
source tree, and provide binaries in ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/contrib.

So, I do not know how religious the arguments turns out to be, but as
far as I am concerned, it boils down to "avoid trouble" and "let
others handle their stuff".

OK, you convinced me.

Abdel.