Hi John (and everyone),
On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, John Weiss wrote:

>> On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, John Levon wrote:
>> > how about "mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] or see the lyx.org website" ?
>> > more accessible
>
>If you're going to move stuff out of Intro.lyx and into DocStyle.lyx,
>then "DocStyle.lyx" needs to live in a more prominent location.  How
>about generating an HTML or PS version and putting it someplace on the
>LyX website?  Then the documentation can just make reference to a URL
>and be done with it.

Good suggestion; I will pursue this as I think it's more likely that
people will look on the website if they are interested, since that seems
to be the default for most open source projets.

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 03:11:06PM -0700, Mike Ressler wrote:
> > 4) Remove Reference from the Help menu.
> Remove Reference completely.  It was stillborn, really.

I'm glad you aren't opposed to this - since you had put a significant
amount of effort into it, I hesitated suggesting this. I concluded,
however, that it was better to integrate the most relevant parts of it
into the other docs, and leave the rest to the developers to worry about.

> > Philosophy: the Intro should be an intro: it is assumed to be chapter 1
> > for all other docs.
>
> I would suggest that the very first line of the very first paragraph
> of the very first section of all of the docs refer the reader
> immediately back to the Intro, as they do now.

Agreed - that's what I meant, even if I didn't say it :-) There will
probably still be something of an introductory paragraph in each of the
docs, but I'd like to concentrate the "What is LyX?" sort of discussion to
the Intro. In theory, people won't be reading the User Guide (or the
Tutorial for that matter) to learn what LyX is, only how they can actually
do something with it.

> Rewrite my stuff to
> suit your own sense of humor (and *do* be humorous!), but do keep the
> immediate backreference.

Humor??? :-) (See the copywrite section of the not-very-often-read
FAQ.lyx or look at the DVI output of Section 5.7 of Extended. I'm no
great comedian, but I can write with tongue firmly planted in cheek.)
Actually, I think your humor is just fine; the problem is the overly
strong warning nature of the Intro. That's why I would like to rewrite it
as a true introduction to LyX, rather than as an introduction to the docs.

> Other than that, I look forward to seeing the result of your efforts!

Now if the devvies would only give me a 1.2.0CVS that didn't
change/crash/use-a-completely-different-format every other microsecond, I
might be able to get somewhere.

Soon, very soon ...

Mike

--