Bill> OK now I am following these instructions.  The first was to set
Bill> the BIBINPUTS variable to the value I use. This is done;
Bill> everytime I log in my BIBINPUTS is set correctly to
Bill> /home/wsimpson/papers/bib.  This directory contains vision.bib
Bill> and stats.bib.

This seems good.

Bill> In my document I am using the Natbib package and so my preamble
Bill> is: \usepackage{natbib} \bibliographystyle{apa}

You do not need to set \bibliographystyle, it is set in the BibTeX
References popup.

Bill> I created my own apa.bst and put it in /home/wsimpson/papers/bib
Bill> (The "standard" apa style is not correct)

I am not sure that bibtex searches for .bst files in the BIBINPUT
path. You should try to set BSTINPUTS too.

As far as apa.bst is concerned, there exist alternative styles
already. For example (I did not try them):
apa: macros/latex/contrib/other/apa/
apacite: biblio/bibtex/contrib/
mslapa: macros/latex/contrib/supported/mslapa/

Bill> I put each citation in the text TeXed, e.g.
Bill> \cite[]{Simpson:1994}

Bill> At the end of the paper I inserted via
Insert-> Lists & TOC ->BibTex Reference
Bill> and put in the box Database: vision,stats Style: apa Well when I
Bill> do view dvi - each ref is (?) in the text. e.g. NOT
Bill> Simpson(1994).  - No Reference list appears at the end.

You could try to export your file as LaTeX, run latex by hand and see
whether this fails at some point. Then we'll probably be able to find
a workaround.

JMarc