Am Samstag, den 20.01.2018, 17:39 -0500 schrieb Scott Kostyshak:
> The ideal behavior for me would be that whenever I paste text that is
> in
> language "mylanguage (x)" into a document that has language
> "mylanguage
> (y)" and no other language, the text would be pasted as
> "mylanguage (y)". However, thinking about what the LyX behavior
> should
> be, I don't know what to suggest. On the one hand, I don't think we
> should change the default behavior since it is correct to treat
> "mylanguage (x)" and "mylanguage (y)" as different languages.
> On the other, I don't think this is a big enough issue that we should
> have a preference for it. So I don't know what to suggest.

I think this will be hard to get right. Also language varieties such as
American and Britisch English or Swiss and German German differ in
details (e.g. spelling or hyphenation rules). Changing the language
automatically could result in subtle problems.

Having said that, your case is special since "English" and "English
(USA)" refer to the same variety, American English. On the other hand,
it also differs sometimes in LaTeX-generated output (as you observe
yourself), so changing it without user intervention is problematic
here, too.

Jürgen