On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 08:51:25PM +0000, Cris Fuhrman wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 5:39 PM, Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:
>
> > I do this maneuver enough times that I find it annoying.
> >

> I'd map the command to change language text to a hot key (I'm pretty sure I
> did this before with one of the text formatting things I found myself doing
> often).

This is a good idea! I'm not sure why, but I did not even think of
making a command-sequence that does what I want. Thanks, Cris!

> A possibly cool feature would be for LyX to detect that a user is often
> doing the same (uncommon) command and propose mapping it to a hot key? I'm
> sure some software somewhere does this...

Clippy? :)

> Asking people how often it happens (in the users forum) is likely to
> generate more heat than light, mainly because it's only from folks who are
> subscribed.

True, but if we can predict the bias, then it gives information. If no
one on lyx-users finds this issue to be common (as appears to be the
case here), then I think the average LyX user is even less likely to
come across the issue. I would just guess this because I think the
average LyX user is less likely to set some documents to "English" and
some to "English (USA)". But I'm not so confident in that guess.

> A more precise way to know would be to collect usage metrics
> for LyX, which was not a well liked idea from my recollection of that in
> the forum.

Yeah, that would have some benefits, but I don't think there is support
for it.

Thanks for your response,

Scott