Sorry for jumping into the discussion, but I think some people here are
missing the real point of the problem

El dom., 4 nov. 2018 a las 12:47, Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan (the best Daniel
of the bunch) (<daniel....@oeconomist.com>) escribió:

> On 11/4/18 1:18 AM, Pol wrote:
> >
> > Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan (the best Daniel of the bunch) wrote:
> >
> > Yes, a set of specific words to be fixed by rearranging letters.
>
> No.  The computer would not _rearrange_ letters.  It would effect a
> string subsitution, oblivious to whether any of the letters in the
> replacement string appeared in the original string.
>
> > E.g.  writing quickly it often happens to write 'informazioen' rather
> than
> > ' informazione'.
> > Sometimes that word appears correctly on the screen, sometimes it is
> > distorted like that, as an anagram of the right word.
>
> It doesn't just happen.  The screen displays what you entered.
>
> > Is that mistake a matter of 'learning'?
>
> Yes, unequivocally.

Not necessarily. There are several forms of mild dyslexia in which the
person swaps letters or even "fingers" (typing an "o" instead of an "a,"
for example). I know this from experience because I have the problem. And
yes, working hard and being attentive solves many (not all, mind you) of
the "accidents," but still... I've been writing in computers almost every
day for the last 30 years and still have many silly "typos:" in my case
it's not a matter of practice.

And that's just a first point. An autocorrect tool can also be useful for
people without those problems: As a matter of fact, LyX actually perform an
autocorrect every time it changes two dashes into an en-dash and three into
an em-dash. Maybe this feature could be generalized. Think of changing the
first character of a phrase into caps, for example, or setting a
substitution pattern to change a couple of characters into a symbol or a
longer text you need to insert several times in the document. It doesn't
need to be something fixed (in fact, it shouldn't!), just a table that any
user can fill at will: first column, what you want to substitute, second
column, the substitution, and then the system perform those changes in real
time. LibreOffice has such tool and yes, most of the elements in their
default table are just a list of stupid emojis, but that does not mean the
feature is stupid.

Just my two cents!

Regards,
Ricardo

> > You mean that i should gain a
> > better motor control of my fingers' movements?
>
> Typing is a learned skill, involving multiple processes.  I don't know
> (or much care) which process you've not properly learned.
>
> > My guess is that my mind form the mispelled word, while quickly
> > writing, because  'informazioen' and ' informazione' are the same, in
> > my mind.
>
> In that case, you need to learn otherwise.
>
> > There would be much to say about the meaning of 'learning', but this is
> > not the right place to discuss about that. I do not know which aspects
> > of learning would be involved here, but i am puzzled about how to
> > improve my writing by learning.
>
> If it's truly a matter of your not understanding the difference
> between “informazioen” and “informazione”, then you need to look into
> how better to learn orthography.
>
> > Anyway, that kind of mispelling happens often. Should i spend years to
> > learn, hoping ti improve my typewriting ability?
>
> If necessary.  But most adults wouldn't need years.
>
> > Rather, it would be very convenient to see that kind of mistakes
> > instantly corrected.
>
> I am again very much reminded of Cyril Kornbluth's story.
>
> > Don't you agree?
>
> Obviously I don't agree.  You shouldn't even have asked whether I agree.

  • auto fixing mispelle... Pol
    • Re: auto fixing... Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan (the best Daniel of the bunch)
      • Re: auto fi... Pol
        • Re: aut... Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan (the best Daniel of the bunch)
          • Re:... paolo m.
            • ... Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan (the best Daniel of the bunch)
              • ... Pol
                • ... Michael Berger
                • ... Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan (the best Daniel of the bunch)
                • ... Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan (the best Daniel of the bunch)
                • ... Ricardo Berlasso
                • ... Bernt Lie
                • ... Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan (the best Daniel of the bunch)
                • ... Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
                • ... Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan (the best Daniel of the bunch)
                • ... Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
                • ... Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan (the best Daniel of the bunch)
                • ... Ricardo Berlasso
                • ... Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan (the best Daniel of the bunch)
    • Re: auto fixing... Paul A. Rubin