On 7/14/19 12:26 PM, Brian Davis wrote:
> Having an epiphany this morning, after a third cup of coffee with the
> grounds at the bottom (the stiff stuff).  I thought what if I try
> running LyX in administrator mode?
>
> I switched back to the Win 10 Enterprise with my UW thesis because
> ultimately that is what I need to get working.  I did try rolling back
> to 5 various versions on the thesis using git and this failed for
> every previous version I tried... versions I am certain worked on the
> version of LyX and MikTeX that have not changed on the  machine.
> Then I ran LyX in administrator mode and compiled exact version that
> previously failed and it worked (with errors as typical) and showed
> the dialog with "Show Output Anyway" which once clicked as before now
> shows the pdf again.
>
> I think there is a very real problem on Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Enterprise
> of permissions between LyX and MikTeX.
>
> But hey at least as administrator I can get my Thesis to be generated.
>
> Any thoughts by Devs on if this is a real problem knowing that us
> users can't be believed?

What's with the sarcasm? It doesn't tend to get one help.

Anyway, yes, permission problems can be an issue on Windows, especially
with MikTeX, which is part of why we have stopped bundling it with LyX
itself.

Obviously, if it was working and now isn't, then something changed.
Whether that had to do with some update involving MikTeX is hard to say
without more information. But contrary to what someone said here, MikTeX
has an annoying habit of updating itself in the background and breaking
things. We've seen it time and time again. The list archives are full of
such problems.

It could be something else, too, involving Windows itself. Again, hard
to know without more information, but one possibility is that the
environment in which LyX is being run is somehow wrong. We've seen cases
in which it works when launched from a terminal, but not when launched
via the icon.

Riki