User directory: ~\AppData\Roaming\LyX2.3\

> Did you check permissions on this directory?

Permissions were same on the directory.

> Is it the same user directory whether you run it in administrator mode or
> not?

Another trick question? On windows my understanding is ~ is current user
which would remain same user in this case bdavis as Windows does not switch
to Administrator, but only elevates the privileges of current user to
Administrator.  The permissions on the directory do no change as it is the
same directory and permissions do not change on a directory just by
becoming Adminstrator... err well provided the software is actually using
that directory.... is it?  On Linux I would assume ~ would switch to root.

> Was MikTeX installed for one user or for all users?

I always install for all users.

> Same question for LyX. A mismatch between those could cause a problem.

Again same. I always install for all users.

Strangely on Win 10 Pro box this morning LyX no longer requires me to run
in Administrator mode to have article.cls show up as available.   Something
is changing out from under the hood on Windows/LyX/MikTeX combo to the
point it could mess with a persons sanity.  A Dell update may have been
applied.

This is one of the most bizarre user experiences I have had.  It's like
owning one of those cars where the insulation of the wires are made from
soybeans and squirrels get all up in under the hood to create havoc chewing
on the wires or like the cars with CAN network issues requiring the use of
the left turn signal to roll down the right rear passenger window.

Win 10 Enterprise box this morning still requires admin mode to generate
pdf.  So at least there is stable insanity there.