I have a .cls and a .layout file. My friend has typed a thesis in the layout given by
the files. When i try to open the thesis it says unknow file.layout and open with a
lot of errors. I have stored the class file in /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/ and
the layout file  in root/.lyx/templates. I then gave texhash and opened lyx and
reconfigured. After this i clsoed lyx and opened it again. Then on opening the thesis
file it gave me the missing class error and opened with a lot of error tags. Please
can someone help me on this. I am beginner in this so if possible please be
comprehensive.
karthik