On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 00:08:38 +0530 wrote kars175 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I have a .cls and a .layout file. My friend has typed a thesis in the layout
> given by the files. When i try to open the thesis it says unknow file.layout
> and open with a lot of errors. I have stored the class file in
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/ and the layout file in root/.lyx/templates.

Do you really run LyX as root? (better don't do this). Also, put the
*.layout file in ~/.lyx/layouts/ (also e.g. /home/kars175/.lyx/layouts) and
reconfigure again.

> I then gave texhash and opened lyx and reconfigured. After this i clsoed lyx
> and opened it again. Then on opening the thesis file it gave me the missing
> class error and opened with a lot of error tags.

> Yes i have reconfigured lyx. Would it have something to do with latex which
> was installed along with my redhat 7.1
> karthik

You could ask your friend for a *.tex version of his/her thesis and try to
run this without LyX to see whether the class is properly installed. (or
just run a minimal latex-example that uses this class.)

The next step would be to see if LyX sees the class (look at the configure
output as described in the preceeding answers).

GM

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]