On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Henrik Edlund wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Christian Ridderström wrote:
>
> CR> That makes sense and could explain two of the sizes... but I've found
> CR> lots of them... (there was also the sizes 165x240, 165x242 and 168x236)
> CR>
> CR> btw, I'd made a type above, the size I'm using is 168x238. I guess that's
> CR> very close to 168x236, which matches the follwing quote:
> CR>
> CR>   "Doctoral and licenciate theses are printed in S5 format (trimmed
> CR>   size ca. 168x236 mm). The stylesheets have been designed to take
> CR>   this into account."
> CR>
> CR> However, this is for a Word style sheet, but a lot of the other sizes were
> CR> also reported for Word style sheets...
>
> I managed to track down a s5report.cls that has been in
> circulation at my department. Most people seem to write their
> thesis in FrameMaker here otherwise. This is an excerpt:
>
> \DeclareOption{s5paper}
>    {\setlength\paperheight {240mm}%
>     \setlength\paperwidth  {165mm}}
>
> I guess that means that is the trimmed paper size that I should
> enter into LyX? It does not seem to be the same as what your quote
> says. I wonder if someone actually has the "truth" and can give us
> "facts".

I'm leaning towards that the trimmed S5 size is about 168x236mm, since
I actually measured the size as 168x238, and the extra 2mm in page
width might well be because of the binding. (It was also difficult in
general to measure the width of a page without ripping it out of the
thesis).

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderström, +46-8-790 91 37           http://www.md.kth.se/~chr