Milos Komarcevic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

>> >4. Install Acrobat Reader on root path (may have to ignore install
>> >warnings if you already have it installed in program files â leave
>> >that copy there though!) Change folder path to remove any spaces.
>> >(My second copy is installed as C:\Adobe\Reader)
>>Don't do this! It doesn't matter in which path/folder it is installed.
>>Two
>
>>installations are one too much and could cause troubles.
>
> I agree with this one. If you already have Acrobat Reader installed in
> C:\Program Files you could use something like the attached
> acroread.bat batch file to launch it. Just put it in a regularly name
> directory without spaces (like C:\Adobe or even where your LyxWin32
> lives) and use it as the pdf viewer in LyX preferences.

I think the concern about spaces in the path is misplaced in this case.
I have the Win32 port running on three different versions of Windoze (98,
ME, XP), with Acrobat Reader installed under C:\Program Files\... in all
cases, and no problems using it.  In no case is its directory on the
system path, either.  Just putting 'acrord32' as the viewer in the LyX
preferences dialog works.  (I'm not sure exactly how LyX locates it.
Invoking acrord32.exe from a command prompt fails.  Perhaps LyX looks in
the registry?)

In general, you can specify a path containing spaces for a viewer by (a)
entering the full path in the preferences dialog and (b) escaping spaces.
You may need to enclose the path in quotes (can't recall).  This won't
work with documents, since some latex programs apparently can't handle
escaped spaces in the paths to their targets, but it seems to work ok for
accessing programs.

-- Paul