----- Original Message ----- From: "Sven Schreiber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "LyX Users List" <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 2:06 AM
Subject: Re: [announce] sixth release of LyXWinInstaller

[replying on the users list to a devel list message]

Angus Leeming schrieb:

Angus' reply is essentially similar to that of Herbert. .bst, .cls and .sty
files are all essentially the same in this regard; they belong in a TeX
tree. If you're not willing to create J:\tex\local (which can be mapped
from C:\Some place that TeX will hate\) then you're making your own life
excessively hard.

I use TrueCrypt (truecrypt.org) on Windows to mount an (encrypted) virtual drive from a file in "My Documents" (or rather the German equivalent, also with spaces). I'm volunteering to (eventually) document that workaround on the wiki, but before doing that I would like to ask whether there are better solutions for the "mapping" that Angus mentioned, or problems that I have overlooked and
which may affect others. Any suggestions?

cheers,
Sven

The Miktex installation states that it is recommended to install
Miktex to a directory without spaces.
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/systems/win32/miktex/setup/install.html#id421158
Steps #8 thru #10 show screenshots of the default installation
directories, which are: C:\texmf and C:\localtexmf

I think it is certainly the most efficient practice for a new user
to follow the guidelines. I guess your solution has theoretical
interest and might be suitable for an advanced user who has
chosen to ignore the directions for whatever reason. Your
solution needs to be aimed at these problem examples:

C:\My Research Papers\Fractals
which contains fractal.lyx and fractal.bst and the tex-engine
(located in C:\texmf) won't traverse the whitespace between
My  and  Research. I think this example would work in
C:\My_Research_Papers because Windows searches
the current directory for needed files if you had them all there.

Perhaps that would be convenient for two or three papers.
But more organization is probably better for many papers.
This problem could manifest if fractal.bst were located in
C:\local texmf\bibtex\bst rather than C:\localtexmf\bibtex\bst
I don't think C:\Program files\texmf\bibtex\bst\fractal.bst works.

I think Tex sees a space as the end of a filename(directory)
but Lyx has had most path with spaces problems fixed, I think.
Anyway, that is my understanding and it doesn't knowingly
contradict either Angus or Herbert. So it is up to you to decide
how much work is involved for you and how many people will
benefit from it. I imagine there is a learning curve for TrueCrypt.

I think "junction", 22k, is one such directory mapping utility.
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Junction.html

Regards,
Stephen