Dave Hewitt schrieb:

> The LyX pop-up instructions for the GSView installer indicate that
> you'll need to choose a language, but I was not offered a language
> choice in GSView.

I cannot reproduce. The attached image "GSview-language.png" shows what I get when I press "Setup" in the appearing GSview installer.

> The JabRef installer appeared to run just fine, created a desktop icon
> and everything, and happily closed. Then a LyX installer pop-up said
> that JabRef could not be installed properly, so I should try again
> later. The LyX installer went along fine after that. JabRef is clearly
> on the machine and working. Was this just a LyX installer erroneous pop-up?

Yes, this is indeed a bug I fixed now for the next release.

> When asked if I wanted to update MiKTeX before starting LyX, I said Yes
> and used the default repository. The download stalled at some point in
> the process (> 5 minutes), so I quit and tried to update again by the
> shortcut in the Start Menu. I used a USA repository and it worked.

This can unfortunately not be avoided in every case: When MiKTeX provide new updates some package repository need some hours to be up to date. Until they are up to date, you get this error.
The default repository I chose for the installer is the one that works the best
in my tests.

> Upon first start-up of LyX, the configuration did indeed take a very
> long time... over 25 minutes. It hung up a lot "checking for" various
> document/docbook classes and packages. Many of them completed with a
> "no" and many did not return a response at all (the "..." just stayed
> there and it went on to the next one).

Yes, this is the installation of LaTeX-packages LyX is using. Not all packages are available, therefore you get a "no", but this doesn't matter, since these packages are only needed to write papers for special journals. Some of the journal publishers, force you to install their packages manually due to license issues. So seeing some "no" doesn'T decrease LyX's functionality.

> At the end, the command line read "lyx: Disabling LyX socket." and the
> cursor returned to a new line. It stayed there for over 10 minutes, so I
> hit "close" and I got an error and LyX terminated.

I think you mixed something up here. The end of the console window that shows you the package installation the first time looks like this:

+checking for package tipa [tipa]... yes
+Inspection done.
+Read the file doc/LaTeXConfig.lyx for more information.
creating packages.lst
creating doc/LaTeXConfig.lyx

Then this console window is closed automatically. The installer then finishes and LyX is started the first time. Because you used the complete installer version and also installed, LyX is the first time opened with it's console window, that is normally hidden. You can see there again the checks for the LaTeX-packages (quick as they are now already installed). You can leave this console window open or not. When closing LyX, the console is also closed. The next time you start the console won't show up anymore.

> LyX will start up, and I opened the LaTeXconfig.lyx and most "Found"
> entries are "???".

You used the menu Help -> LaTeX configuration? I can't see this.

> So, things aren't working.

What dos that mean? Can you create a PDF from a LyX document containing only "Hello
world"?
Use the menu Tools -> Reconfigure, restart LyX afterwards and check if Help -> LaTeX configuration is now correct.

regards Uwe

<<inline: GSview-language.png>>