On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 09:53:47PM +0200, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> Dave Hewitt schrieb:
>
> > The LyX pop-up instructions for the GSView installer indicate that
> > you'll need to choose a language, but I was not offered a language
> > choice in GSView.
>
> I cannot reproduce. The attached image "GSview-language.png" shows what I
> get when I press "Setup" in the appearing GSview installer.
>
> > The JabRef installer appeared to run just fine, created a desktop icon
> > and everything, and happily closed. Then a LyX installer pop-up said
> > that JabRef could not be installed properly, so I should try again
> > later. The LyX installer went along fine after that. JabRef is clearly
> > on the machine and working. Was this just a LyX installer erroneous
> pop-up?
>
> Yes, this is indeed a bug I fixed now for the next release.
>
> > When asked if I wanted to update MiKTeX before starting LyX, I said Yes
> > and used the default repository. The download stalled at some point in
> > the process (> 5 minutes), so I quit and tried to update again by the
> > shortcut in the Start Menu. I used a USA repository and it worked.
>
> This can unfortunately not be avoided in every case: When MiKTeX provide
> new updates some package repository need some hours to be up to date. Until
> they are up to date, you get this error.
> The default repository I chose for the installer is the one that works the
> best in my tests.
>
> > Upon first start-up of LyX, the configuration did indeed take a very
> > long time... over 25 minutes. It hung up a lot "checking for" various
> > document/docbook classes and packages. Many of them completed with a
> > "no" and many did not return a response at all (the "..." just stayed
> > there and it went on to the next one).
>
> Yes, this is the installation of LaTeX-packages LyX is using. Not all
> packages are available, therefore you get a "no", but this doesn't matter,
> since these packages are only needed to write papers for special journals.

Since the installer fight showed his ugly head recently I think I might
mention my opinion on such behaviour: Waiting 25 minutes for something
that I don't need is a bit beyond my expectation even of a 'complete
install'. Can't this 'LaTeX package search' thing not somehow happen in
the background?

Andre'