Steve Litt asked:

On Monday 17 March 2008 08:57, Ethan Metsger wrote:
> There are a couple ways to do this that will probably get you where you
> want to go.
>
> First, you can change the DPI settings in the export dialog in Inkscape--I
> think the default is 90dpi, which is passable for screen resolutions but
> otherwise unacceptable.  If you're going to be printing the document, I'd
> set it at at least 300 (which will increase the filesize considerably,
> unfortunately).  600 is better.
>
> Second, you could save the file as another type, like EPS; LyX may be able
> to import this directly (it's been awhile since I've tried; I usually use
> pdflatex, and I think that it won't import EPS files).  If it cannot, you
> can open the EPS file in something like the Gimp, which will allow you to
> specify the resolution when you open the file; you can then export it to
> any LyX-compatible format.

Thanks Uwe and Ethan,

First of all, for some reason Inkscape thought I didn't have Arial installed
on my computer. I do, but the heck with it, I changed it to Century
Schoolbook, and for better readability upped the font from 12 to 16. That in
itself made the picture tolerable.

Ethan -- I tried your technique of exporting to a 300dpi .png, and like you
said, the result was stunningly beautiful, and like you said, it really
bloated the filesize.

Uwe -- I simply used the inkscape file within LyX, and it came out tolerable
and a small filesize. Interestingly, I had absolutely no svg to pdf
converter, so LyX must have something built in. Interestingly, the
Inkscape .svg format has other junk inside to store Inkscape metadata, but
still rendered within both LyX 1.4.2 and LyX 1.5.3.

Uwe -- if I added a SVG converter, to what should I make it convert? One would
think that the longer the picture stayed vector based, the better things
would be.

So I have to decide whether to bloat the file to reduce moderate pixellation
on 3 or 4 pictures, and of course I'm still looking for a third alternative
with the font beauty of 300dpi .png and the small filesize of .svg.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware