Thanks for your response.
I updated my layout file to read:

#% Do not delete the line below; configure depends on this
#  \DeclareLaTeXClass[authesis]{article (authesis)}
Format 4
# Input general definitions
Input article.layout

and I tried kpsewhich authesis.cls in the terminal.  the response was
the location of the file.  I noticed that when I tried texhash,
terminal told me that it was not writeable, so I tried sudo texhash
and it gave me the same response as kpsewhich.  I still get the same
error message in LyX.

I don't under stand your last recommendation:
What I'd suggest is to try to run the reconfigure directly from
/users/username/libarary/Application Support/Lyx-1.5/. I.e., open a
terminal, go to that directory, and then run "python
/path/to/configure.py". If you can't figure out where that file is,
someone else will know. Anyway, you'll get more helpful error messages
then.

do i open terminal, type in the location of the class file?  i.e.
/users/username/library/texmf/tex/latex/authesis/  or the location of
the layouts: username/libarary/Application Support/Lyx-1.5/layouts .
and then I type "python/path/to/configure.py" in terminal? when I
tried this, it said -bash ... doesn't exist

thanks so much for your insight.
mike