I changed the layout file. to read report instead of article, ran
texhash, and still got the reconfigure error.

You said:
> Hmm. That looks like a successful reconfigure to me. Try this again now from
> inside your LyX user directory. To verify where that is, go to
> Tools>Preferences, User Interface, hit "Browse" and then "User Files". This
> will dump you into a subdirectory of your user directory. Worth doing just
> to make sure.

 I verified the directory and ran the python command.  Here is my
terminal line I typed and its response.

dhcp-226-212:~ mikemartell$ python
/Applications/LyX.app/contents/Resources/ui/configure.py
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python:
can't open file
'/Applications/LyX.app/contents/Resources/ui/configure.py': [Errno 2]
No such file or directory

I really appreciate your being so helpful.
Mike