On Sat, 25 Oct 2008, Christian Ridderström wrote:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Mike Ressler wrote:
I can assure you that LyX has been used to write hundreds of
dissertations, theses, and scholarly papers

>> Interesting question... how many such documents have been written using LyX?

Since I threw out those numbers, here is my rationale. I started using
LyX in early 1998 with version 0.10.7 and became very active with the
documentation until I had to ratchet things back in 2002 just after
version 1.2.0 (serious project at work plus kids old enough for lots
of activities). In that time, I wrote two refereed journal papers and
part of the concept study that led to the $100M+ mission. In that
time, I also recall about a half dozen theses at varying levels and at
least a dozen papers in areas outside my field. That is at least 20
papers of a "hard core" variety that I have at ready recall in the 4
years I was heavily involved. That doesn't include the 100s and 1000s
of documents of my own and others that don't rise to that level:
memos, reports, presentations, etc.

Even extrapolated at that production rate in the intervening years,
there would be a total of 50 such documents, and I'm assuming I knew
much less than half the output between 1998 and 2002. I haven't
followed lyx-users for a few years now (I've stayed on lyx-docs to
keep a watchful eye on things), so I don't know how lyx's popularity
has grown, but I'm fairly confident that "hundreds of dissertations,
theses, and scholarly papers" is probably not a bad guess, and very
unlikely to be an over-estimate.

Take it for what you will. The point to the original poster was that
LyX and LaTeX are powerful, well-used tools, and the difficulties he
was having are likely in his setup or with his expectations.

Mike

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]