Thanks for that Vincent - read that again and again over the last
couple of days - must be missing something. I have no idea what the blue
arrows going in several directions are supposed to mean.  There's no
documentation that really explains it.
It is explained in the User's Guide section 3.5.6 "Forced Line Breaks".

To see it in action you can enter in a new Document:

A B [Ragged-Line-Break]
C D [Justified-Line-Break]

Now you see that the C and D gets justified. Thus the D is on the far right end in the output document.

Re: Insert->Formatting->Ragged - it doesn't allow me to do that in that
cell, the command is greyed out. Also I was told \newline is the
right trigger.
That's probably because you didn't set the column in the table to a fixed width. After you do this, it will allow you to enter the linebreak of your choice. This is explained in "2.8.1 Multiple Lines in Table Cells" in the sentence "[...] In the appearing table dialog we set a cell width of 2.5 cm. [...]".
I feel - possibly incorrectly - that I have to create the table either
in the float environment or I have to "set" the table column widths to
make any command at all work, and then possibly, just possibly,
Ctrl+Enter will make the new line anyway.
Yes, you have to set a column width :). Don't ask me why.

Vincent