On 07/28/2010 03:44 PM, Daniel Joshua Stark wrote:
Dear All,

I'm using LyX 1.6.7 on Mac OS X 10.6.4.

I've installed the revtex4-1.layout file in /Library/Application
Support/LyX-1.6/layouts

I use the 2009 Tex Live distribution of MacTeX and it is up-to-date.
 When I check in texmf-dist/tex/latex/revtex, revtex4-1.cls is present.

I've run sudo texhash several times and have reconfigured LyX several
times.  However, whenever I try to select "Article (REVTeX 4.1)" in
Lyx, I get the following error:  "The document class revtex4-1 could
not be loaded."

I'm at a lost as to why it is not loading.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

The error message is saying that the layout file could not be loaded. If you've downloaded the layout file from the wiki here:
    http://wiki.lyx.org/Layouts/Revtex4-1
then the problem is that this is for LyX 2.0, not for LyX 1.6.x. I've added a note to that effect to the wiki.

The error messages for this kind of thing will be more informative in 2.0.

Richard