Am 02.09.2010 15:10, schrieb Evan Mason:

The layout file is attached together with a LyX example file. Please test it
our and report back. If
it works for you, we can provide it together with the next LyX version.

Thanks for that.  I was successful using your example (agutex.lyx) but less so
with my own lyx file.  Using your example I have
Documents>Settings>Document_class set to agutex, and Class_options>Custom set to
jgrga (if I remove or change jgrga it breaks.)

You will get a LaTeX error, because the agutex class requires that you specify a journal as document class option, see my second yellow note in the example file I sent.

I have no prior experience with cls and sty files, but have gained some
information through google and Lyx/Help/Customization.

I created the dir /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/agutex and placed agu-ps.sty and
agutmpl.tex there, then the command mktexlsr.  I placed agutex.cls and
agutex.layout in ~/.lyx/layouts/ and made soft links to them from my working
dir.

The location is incorrect. Put the agu-ps.sty and agutex.cls to the folder
tex/latex/agutex
Finally execute the command "texhash".

(mktexlsr is only for web2c systems which you most probably don't have. Here's a nice description: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Packages/Installing_Extra_Packages)

The TeX system on Linux should be TeXLive and TeXLive comes with a graphical interface to install LaTeX-packages. So after putting the cls- and sty-files to tex/latex/agutex you should be able to use the TeXLive package installer GUI to refresh the filename database of TeXLive.

regards Uwe