Am 09.09.2010 11:26, schrieb Evan Mason:

But thats the idea of the draft mode - getting a quick preview of the
document without images.

Hi Uwe, I'm still not sure about no figures in draft mode. At
http://www.agu.org/pubs/authors/manuscript_tools/journals/latex/ it says when
making the initial submission you should use draft mode with figures.

OK, but what is the problem? Draft mode means that only a frame is drawn in the output. So when the require that, why not?

Also in
agutmpl.tex there is the option in draft mode to include figures or not.  I've
tried to activate that but I guess agutmpl.tex is not called when using
agutex.layout?

Of course not. A layout file is just a text file telling LyX how to display the LaTeX-commands on screen. When you load a file, only this file is used. But I still don't understand your concerns. When you want to have the draft mode, add "draft" to the document class options, if not then not. In agutmpl.tex the use the draft document class option because this is the default for initial submissions.

It would also be useful to have the line numbering option that is available in
agutmpl.tex.

Then activate them by uncommenting the corresponding lines in the document preamble of your file. In my agutex layout file, you would have to uncomment line 2 and 3.

regards Uwe