On 2010-11-08, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> Am 07.11.2010 21:59, schrieb Richard Heck:

>> Shouldn't "Use babel" really be a document setting, rather than a
>> preference?

> Yes, definitively. Babel needs to be deactivated for some document
> classes and can cause troubles when using XeTeX.

Seconded.

>> If so, we can still get this into 2.0.

This would be very good indeed.

> XeTeX has its own babel replacement and it might be possible that both
> can interfere.

The babel replacement (the "polyglossia" package) not only can, but
*does* interfere with babel. But, just like babel, it needs to be
loaded explicitely, so this will only show, if you do, e.g.

  \usepackage{polyglossia}
  \setdefaultlanguage{english}
  \setotherlanguages{german,british,french}

in the LaTeX preamble (hopefully, a future LyX will do this
automatically for XeTeX export).

Günter