On 2010-11-08, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
> Uwe Stöhr wrote:
>> We should consider do do this for 2.0 because the users-list is full
>> with requests of XeTeX and we already implemented basic support.
>> Jürgen, what do you think, will you have time to implement support for
>> polyglossia?

> No. And I would rather postpone it, since the language handling is deeply
> entangled with the code.

The language switching code in the document is nearly the same. It's the
preamble code that differs:

-\usepackage[british,french,ngerman,english]{babel}
+\usepackage{polyglossia}
+\setdefaultlanguage{english}
+\setotherlanguages{german,british,french}

OTOH, there is a different set of supported languages and some languages
have different names:

    # Additionally supported or differently named languages:
    language_codes.update({
        # code          Polyglossia-name       comment
        'cop':          'coptic',
        'de':           'german', # new spelling (de_1996)
        'de_1901':      'ogerman', # old spelling
        'dsb':          'lsorbian',
        'el_polyton':   'polygreek',
        'fa':           'farsi',
        'grc':          'ancientgreek',
        'hsb':          'usorbian',
        'sh-cyrl':      'serbian', # Serbo-Croatian, Cyrillic script
        'sh-latn':      'croatian', # Serbo-Croatian, Latin script
        'sq':           'albanian',
        'sr':           'serbian', # Cyrillic script (sr-cyrl)
        'th':           'thai',
        # zh-latn:      ???        #     Chinese Pinyin
        })
    # Languages without Polyglossia support:
    for key in ('af',           # 'afrikaans',
                'de_at',        # 'naustrian',
                'de_at_1901',   # 'austrian',
                'fr_ca',        # 'canadien',
                'grc_ibycus',   # 'ibycus', (Greek Ibycus encoding)
                'sr-latn',      # 'serbian script=latin'
                'vi'):          # 'vietnam',
        del(language_codes[key])

Also, polyglossia is said to be working with XeTeX only, not with
LuaTeX while the newest fontspec supports both engines.

As an alternative, we could consider "Unicode-safe" Babel *.ldf files
for e.g. Russian, Greek, ...
Unfortunately, babel is not very actively maintained but also not free
for adoption.

Günter