On 4/3/2012 10:01 AM, BOB Merhebi wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been testing Ubuntu12.04 lately & just now I was thinking of
> using LyX on it. TO my big surprise the LyX requires a large download
> of ~450 MB+. I am shocked!!! IS that the true size? If not mistaken I
> recall that on 10.04 it required ~ 25MB. Am I mistaken? Is there
> something wrong?
Hi Bob,

The download from Ubuntu was probably a debug build. These are much
larger than the release build. You might want to contact the Ubuntu
project and let them know that the build is much larger than expected.
Liviu Andronic manages a PPA with an unofficial build, which might be
less damaging to your Internet quota
(https://launchpad.net/~lyx-devel/+archive/release). I'm not sure he's
added support for Precise Penguin, yet, though.

Another idea is that they may have changed the LaTeX dependencies. If
so, it might be downloading a lot of extra TeX packages that aren't needed.

Regardless, I would definitely get in touch with the Ubuntu project. To
the best of my knowledge, they don't subscribe to this list, and it's
something that they will want to hear about.

Cheers,

Rob