Hello David,

Thank you for your reply.

On Fri 20 Apr 2012 03:19:28 AM EEST, David L. Johnson wrote:
> On 04/19/2012 08:03 PM, Merhebi, Bob wrote:
>> Just one question: for LyX to work it requires TeX packages right? How
>> big should that be for a regular usage involving mathematics&  physics?
>> Moreover, how can I install it (with TeX packages; more accurately: like
>> it is installed on my system!) on a system with no connection?
>
> I would suggest that if you are doing either mathematics or physics,
> you really, really need the TeX packages, no matter what.  The idea of
> not using TeX to write mathematics is impossible for me to deal with
> -- especially if your alternative is Word.

Actually, I don't use word anymore; even OpenOffice or LibreOffice I
don;t use either except for rare occasions; that's why wehn I found out
about LyX (while searching for Scientific Workplace -commercial) I
chose LyX & have been using it ever since. Am happ with it :D

> In my opinion, TeX is a huge improvement in writing technical material
> over anything else out there, and LyX is a huge improvement to using
> TeX.  Yes, these things require a large download any more (I remember
> when LyX fit on a floppy disk -- without TeX, but even so, one floppy
> disk).
>
> If you have no internet connection, then I imagine you have a usb
> port, or other pluggable access.  Get a  usb keychain drive, or
> equivalent other media, get access somehow to download the archive to
> the drive, and you should have no problem.  You clearly have some
> internet access since you did send this message.

I do have a cxn, but I am writing a document with someone & I'd like to
install it for him so we can work on the editing together, but he
doesn't have a cxn (weird as it may be) + to save time in installing.
And yes, that's what I was thinking; I just wanted to know how to find
what packages (dependencies incl. of course) I needed & where to find
them (for Ubuntu!)

> Others can answer about how big the distribution ought to be, but
> again, believe me, you need this to write mathematics.

Sure I do need to write mathematics, with TeX! :D

thanks again

--
Sincerely Yours,
-Merhebi, Bob