On 04/19/2012 08:03 PM, Merhebi, Bob wrote:
Just one question: for LyX to work it requires TeX packages right? How
big should that be for a regular usage involving mathematics&  physics?
Moreover, how can I install it (with TeX packages; more accurately: like
it is installed on my system!) on a system with no connection?

I would suggest that if you are doing either mathematics or physics, you really, really need the TeX packages, no matter what. The idea of not using TeX to write mathematics is impossible for me to deal with -- especially if your alternative is Word.

In my opinion, TeX is a huge improvement in writing technical material over anything else out there, and LyX is a huge improvement to using TeX. Yes, these things require a large download any more (I remember when LyX fit on a floppy disk -- without TeX, but even so, one floppy disk).

If you have no internet connection, then I imagine you have a usb port, or other pluggable access. Get a usb keychain drive, or equivalent other media, get access somehow to download the archive to the drive, and you should have no problem. You clearly have some internet access since you did send this message.

Others can answer about how big the distribution ought to be, but again, believe me, you need this to write mathematics.

--

David L. Johnson

When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember that
your initial objective was to drain the swamp.
                -- LBJ