On Oct 3, 2013, at 9:05 PM, Paul Meehl wrote:

> I am new to LyX and cannot find the sample files described in the
> Tutorial.pdf:
>
>    Finally, we have written a file called example_raw.lyx to let you practice
> your LYX skills. Imagine that it was typed by someone who did not know
> about any of LYX’s great features. As you learn new LYX functions, we will
> suggest that you fix those parts of example_raw.lyx. It also contains ‘subtle’
> hints about how to fix things.2 If you want to cheat, or check what you have
> done, there is also a file called example_lyxified.lyx which contains the
> same text written and typeset by a LYX master.
>    The example files can be found in the examples directory of LYX’s
> installation folder. ...
>

> I am using OS X 10.8.5. I first installed MacTex, then LyX, merely moving L
> yX.app into the Applications folder, as prompted. LyX seems to work fine
> ,just do not have these files on my machine. Thanks for any help to find
> them.

On the Mac installation, they get buried inside of the app package.

Find LyX.app in your applications folder
Right click on it and select "show package contents"
The go to Contents -> Resources -> examples

It might be a good idea to copy the folder to somewhere more convenient outside
of the app if you are going to use them often.

hope that helps
Steve