Happy New Year to you too. Glad you were able to find the LyX example files
you were looking for.

Spotlight doesn't index inside application bundles, so the Finder search
behavior you describe is normal on OS X. Users normally wouldn't need to be
searching inside bundles; the situation with the LyX example files is an
unusual exception.

-- Rich