On Dec 29, 2013, at 3:13 AM, Richard Talley <rich.tal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's true for most OS X users, but not all.
>
> If you want to use multi-platform programs, you have to put up with a certain
> amount of non-Mac behavior. (As do Windows and Linux users, when using
> programs primarily written to run on a different system.)
>
> I'm just glad that LyX is available on OS X, even though it doesn't quite fit
> into the system the way only for OS X programs do.
>
> -- Rich

The package builder can and should put auxiliary files next to the app bundle,
not inside it. This does not complicate user-level installation since all
files/folders that exist on the .dmg can be dragged and dropped as easily as a
single file. Of course, this would in some cases require minor code changes but
if the code is looking inside an app bundle (which does not exist on other
platforms, or if so, not in the OS X form), then it has already been
specialized for OS X and might as well be specialized differently.

The vast majority of OS X users do not know that there is anything in the app
bundle. LyX is intended for use by writers, not by hackers.

Yes, I'm glad LyX is available to OS X too—really glad. I hope these comments
(and others by me) are taken in the spirit in which they are intended, that is,
helpful suggestions. And most of my suggestions are and will be on the user
interface which might or might not be OS X-specific.

Jerry