I've been keeping up with the Kickstarter for this and even threw some money at
it :)

I can think of a few ways I might use something like this. Over in the Color
Computer world, I've written a virtual cassette drive (I call it the
Virtual-CCR). Using a special cable that routes the Audio Out through the
Remote relay, the software uses the device events that are surfaced by the OS
(Linux in this case) to detect when the Color Computer's Remote relay closes.
Then based on the presence/absence of a signal from the Audio In, it determines
whether you've issued a CSAVE or CLOAD in BASIC. The virtual "cassettes" are
just WAV files. Not quite ready for prime-time, but I hope to refine it and
make it perfect soon.

Anyway, this runs on a regular computer, but it would be so cool to instead use
something like this tiny $9 contraption. Throw a short cable and 5 pin DIN
connector on it and voila!