Hi Lee,

Well, no that isn't exactly wrong. The 8-bit output port on the M100 LPT connector is in fact output only. However it has 2 input bits ... the BUSY and /BUSY signals. With proper 8085 ASM software and proper ARM software, a 2-bit "bit-bang" read operation can be performed. In this case, 8 bits are read using 4 successive reads of { BUSY, /BUSY } and then re-assembling them into a byte.

This is the way TDock works and I have actually already written and tested this approach in VirtualT. I actually have 3 TDock bare PCBs sitting on my desk that I received from OSH Park yesterday, waiting to be assembled. They use a CPLD to perform the signalling and the board is a daughter card for the Raspberry Pi 2 B. But I'm afraid the solution isn't really "cheap" because of all the connectors and the size of the PCB (building the TDock PCB costs more than the Pi itself because of small quantity purchase). But I believe a fast STM32 ARM chip with 5V tolerant I/O could keep up with the signalling involved that the CPLD is doing.

Ken