You can absolutely put everything up in a git repo. Sourcing components and
assembling units is an entirely separate issue from simply documenting the
design.

The cad files, schematics, code, and general documentation and parts lists
are all things that can be placed in git repos. People do it all the time.

These days more and more people can do fabrication that used to be very
specialized. If a part is hard to find, or hard to work with, users can
contribute to the design by finding a different part and submitting changes
to the design (or fork it) to use that different part. Or, they can
document where to source a part, or what other part can drop in, etc.

Let most users not be able to use the info directly, some CAN use it
directly. The same is already true for every ordinary program in the world.
Most people are no more C coders than they are smt fabricators.

It's a total non-issue.