Hi Steve,

I agree that transferring would be work.  I feel that separating the hardware
and software may be the path forward,  especially if the hardware design is
proven.

My clocks use a 240mm square PCB that I source from Pcbcart. Experience has
shown that they are cheaper than OSH part for volume.  I normally order boards
as 60 to 100 units at a time to take advantage of volume discounts.  Same for
parts, I have oearnt that volume discounts make sense in small scale
manufacturing.

After surface reflow, all of my boards go through a test and firmware loading
jig. I published the design for one of the jigs on Instructables.com
http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Programming-Jig-for-our-DougsWordClockcom-DeskC/
   this radicaly simplifies the firmware load.  I am confident that I could
devel op something to do the CPLD load as well.

From the perspective of manufacturing capacity, my workshop has microscopes and
logic analysers and grinders etc etc..  but it  woud be worthwhile figuring out
how to modify the design so that there was no need to rip spacers from wood, or
grind boards and remove as many manual handling steps as possible.

Doug