On 3/8/20 6:45 PM, Dave Everett wrote:
On 8/03/2020 9:04 am, Brian K. White wrote:
On 3/7/20 4:42 PM, Dave Everett wrote:
On 8/03/2020 8:27 am, Brian K. White wrote:

I think you want a carrier rather than a socket then ?

As it happens, I also have over 100 carriers too, and you can have some no problem. But you can also get carriers 3d printed new. There are at least two STL files out there publicly to get carriers 3d printed from on-line services any time you want for about $5 each. The carriers are easy since they are just a chunk of plastic. The sockets are hard because you can't just 3d-print the pins.

I'll try printing one, thanks mate.

Dave

Here's the carrier for printing.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/QF7XZHLJV/molex-dip-28-chip-carrier-78802-0010?optionId=65447013&li=marketplace

Here's the STL file to get it printed somewhere else besides Shapeways.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2904190/files

That's not me or my model but it looks good to me.
The carrier I designed holds a PCB not a DIP chip.

If you want to try to get it printed elsewhere, you need to know that you have to use SLS printing. It means laser sintered nylon powder. Everything else is either too inaccurate or too fragile. I have no idea who offers SLS printing in AU. I think both Shapeways and Sculpteo ship world wide, but surely there must be someone closer to you. Steve Adolph is in Canada and we managed to find a Canadian shop for him for the carriers for his new REXCPM coming out soon. You might try a site called CraftCloud. They aggregate several print services into a single search site. You upload the STL file, set your location and currency, select the type of printing and material (SLS nylon), and they show you quotes from different suppliers.

But like I said in another email, you probably do want a socket also so that you can re-write the rom without bending the pins again to get the chip off the carrier. So, if you want a socket anway for reading & programming, it's nothing extra for me to toss in a few carriers.

And that other "Meeprom" thing I posted with a pcb is just an option. Kind of fancy but I like it for my Model 100/102/200's. Maybe it makes more sense for 100/200 etc because they have a non-standard pinout that the programmer does not support. A socket still doesn't work without also some form of wiring adapter, and at that point the test clip is simpler.

But for a PX-8 or a tandy model 600, since the pinout is standard, then as long as you don't mind using 27C256 chips and a UV eraser, it's simple to just plug a socket in the programmer, and you can read/write the rom without taking it off it's carrier.