lots of design choices Brian
REXCPM is SRAM not Flash.  SDcards can't be used as system memory.
convenient connection to M100 is a big factor.
power consumption is another.  a project I am willing to take on is another
;)

Anyhow I think there are a couple of scenarios
1) user has a PC with an FTDI based USB serial port.  That supports 76800
and the normal M100 RS-232 port
2) user has a PC with RS-232.  In this case standard port can go 38400
max.  In this case 57600 is a bit faster.

The original motivation for the BCR ttl interface was for video; that still
seems like the right thing, and then using an FTDI based serial port for
the fastest solution @76800.